I always wanted to make meatloaf. Every time I go to the US, I try it. I love how it tastes!
I looked for many recipes, read them all and I also look for the Mexican recipe “pastel de carne” that is a very similar dish.
I decided to follow Alton Brown’s Good Eats Meatloaf. I didn’t follow every step, but added my own changes and ingredients and it was so good! My husband loved it! And me too…
So, in order to make this delicious meatloaf you will need:
- 1 small old baguette (I used an old one because you need crumbs and it was already hard, couldn’t use it in a sandwich)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Knorr’s Costilla Jugosa (powdered Homestyle Beef Flavor Stock)
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and broken
- 3 whole cloves garlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 oz cream cheese (I used Chipotle Philadelphia cream cheese)
- 2 slices of American cheese (I used Kraft’s Singles)
- nonstick cooking spray
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot pepper sauce (I think Tabasco will be ok, I used “La viuda de Sánchez”)
- 1 tablespoon honey (I would recommend to use natural honey, not maple syrup)
Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and green pepper in the food processor bowl.
Place the meatloaf in the oven. It should take 45 minutes to cook.
Brush the other half of the glaze after it has been cooking for about 35 minutes. After 45 minutes have passed, change your oven to griller and leave the meatloaf for 6 minutes. Take it out and cool for 15 minutes before serving.
I served it with mashed potatoes and salad.
- Instead of American cheese and cream cheese you can use only one of them, or you can use hard-boiled egg, ham, or whatever you like!
- You can use other vegetables too: celery, a rainbow of peppers (orange, yellow, red and green), or whatever you like!